13 Jun In case of emergency: home insurance advice from CAA-Quebec
Your responsibilities as the policyholder
- Your responsibilities as the policyholder
- Inform your insurer quickly.
- Document your claim well, using photos, videos, etc.
- Keep all invoices and other supporting documents.
- Don’t start any major work without the go-ahead from your insurer.
- Don’t throw out or otherwise dispose of materials damaged in the incident without approval from your insurer.
- Co-operate with the insurance adjuster who will contact you.
- Make sure to supervise the work done following the incident.
The insurer’s commitment
- Restore your property to the same condition as before the loss.
- Depending on the situation, repair, replace or reimburse you for your damaged property.
- Rapidly compensate you in the days or weeks following receipt of your claim and your list of damaged items.
Room for discussion
- Would you rather entrust repairs to a specific contractor? Your insurer will recommend one or more, but you’re free to make your own suggestion: the insurer may agree to it, as long as the estimate is realistic.
- If you don’t agree.